Translate

Thursday, September 24, 2026

A Poetry Book?

My whole life I have been telling stories...the ones I made up to tell my little brother, the ones I told to my daughter...the ones I scribbled out into poetry...the ones I heard from our family Seanachai across The Pond. 

The stories find poetic form, particularly in trying times. 

When I survey my best poems, they all tell a story. The dead-end street. The day we buried grandma. My oldest memories. The old lady in the rocking chair. The man who wanted to leave the mountains forever.

The poem becomes more than the tale the Seanachai tells. It is a tale of a people, of a place...more than the family lore. 

I am contemplating producing a short book with poetry and short tales. Not for money, but to share with the world. Sure, if I pay for the costs of printing and shipping, it will be worth it. Amazon will publish just about anything not a.i.slop. How many poetry-story books make any money? That is not the reason for having it published.

When I attempt to get my first novel published, I'll query until the cows come home. For a poetry book or a storyteller's book (poetry and stories), the purpose is for readers to enjoy it. To quote it. To be touched by it. To be inspired...







No comments:

Post a Comment

A Poetry Book?

My whole life I have been telling stories...the ones I made up to tell my little brother, the ones I told to my daughter...the ones I scribb...